FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
BETTER WORLD BOOKS DONATES $50,000 TO LOCAL LITERACY PROGRAMS
Mishawaka, Indiana U.S.A–November 18, 2021—Better World Books (BWB), the world’s leading socially conscious online bookseller, announces the donation of $50,000.00 to twenty-three (23) organizations and schools. President and CEO of Better World Books, Dustin Holland, noted that “Better World Books is proud to support local organizations who believe in the power of knowledge and access to information. Our commitment to education and literacy is unparalleled, and these impressive organizations are deserving of our recognition and financial encouragement.” Better World Books historically has donated over 31 million books, has raised over $32M for literacy and libraries, and has managed the reuse or recycling of over 386 million books.
In April of 2021, all Better World Books employees were given the opportunity to nominate an outstanding organization local to them working to improve literacy and to expand access to education. The Better World Books Literacy Council reviewed and contacted twenty-three (23) nominated organizations and selected the following organizations from the Mishawaka area to receive local literacy grants:
Recipients local to Better World Books Mishawaka, Indiana, Facility:
- University of Notre Dame Robinson Community Learning Center–awarded $5,000 from the Better World Books General Literacy Fund.
- Mishawaka Penn Harris (P-H-M) Education Foundation–awarded $1,500 to support P-H-M staff programming.
- South Bend Community School Corporation–awarded $1,500 to supply books with a broader representation of different races and greater diversity.
- Parkside Elementary School–awarded $1,000 to continue the work of subject-specific reading and books.
- Bakers Youth Club–awarded $500 to assist the youth of Kosciusko County in shaping an educated, healthy, and social identity.
- Our Stories, Our Future Inc.–awarded $500 to supply diverse literature to youth individuals in the greater South Bend, Indiana, community.
About Better World Books
Better World Books (https://www.BetterWorldBooks.com) is a for-profit, socially conscious business and a global online bookseller that collects and sells new and used books online, matching each purchase with a book donation. Each sale generates funds for literacy and education initiatives in the U.S., the UK, and around the world. Since its launch in 2003, Better World Books has raised $32 million for libraries and literacy, donated over 29 million books, and reused or recycled more than 373 million books. The awarded grants were made possible by the Better World Books General Literacy Fund that underwrites the donation initiatives of Better World Books. This fund, supported by global library clients, allows for libraries to support libraries and to increase their impact through Better World Books partnerships. For more information about Better World Books, contact Michael Kappes, Senior Manager of Customer Experience and Client Services, at [email protected] or at (574) 334-5826.