About Better World Books
Better World Books is a for-profit social enterprise that collects and sells books online to fund literacy initiatives worldwide. With more than eight million new and used titles in stock, Better World Books is a self-sustaining company that balances the social, economic and environmental values of its stakeholders. Since its founding in 2003, the company has raised millions for its nonprofit literacy and library partners; diverted hundreds of thousand tons of books from landfills; achieved tons of carbon offsets through carbon-neutral shipping and created hundreds of full-time jobs with meaningful benefits in multiple locations around the world.
Better World Books diverts books from landfills by collecting material from libraries, bookstores, college campuses through the community and in other areas where surplus materials exist. It then sells those used books and contributes a portion of the revenue on each sale to support literacy, libraries and education. Books that cannot be sold are frequently donated to at risk communities in the U.S.
Better World Books is a global bookstore that harnesses the power of capitalism to bring literacy and opportunity to people around the world. Learn more.
Better World Books works with passionate nonprofit partners to provide better lives and a chance for economic, social and political freedom through literacy. Learn more
Drop Box Program
Two billion pounds of books each year are sent to landfills. Our Drop Box program addresses the environmental impact while also building advocacy around education and book donations. The free program helps raise funds for libraries and education, supports literacy efforts locally and globally. One parking spot can help change the world. To date we have over 800 Drop Box locations and counting. Learn more.
Book for Book Program
Every time you buy a book at BetterWorldBooks.com, we donate a book to someone in need. That’s it! No qualifications, no exceptions, no fine print. We want to make doing good as easy as possible for our outrageously passionate community. Learn more.
Better World Books cares
We believe in the power of knowledge. So our goal is to help those who supply it and share it with those who crave it.Which is why every action we take, and every book purchase you make helps fund it. Learn more.
Better World Books’ ImpactSince its founding in 2003, the company has:
- Raised 10 Million for its non-profit literacy partners including
- 9.4 Million for over 80 literacy and education nonprofits
- 12 Million for libraries and thrift stores nationwide
- Donated over 6 million college textbooks, primarily to schools in Africa through Books for Africa.
- Established a relationship with Feed the Children in October 2009 to send them children’s books. The first shipment of 31,910 books went out 10/7/2009.
- Diverted more than 171,000 tons of books from landfills.
- Achieved over 87,000 tons of carbon offsets through carbon-neutral shipping.
- Created more than 350 full-time jobs with meaningful benefits.
- 3+ Million for Books for Africa.
- 865,000+ for Room to Read.
- 1.5+ Million for the National Center for Families Learning.
- 525,000+ for Worldfund.
- 215,000+ for the Robinson Community Learning Center.
- 80,000+ for the New Orleans Public Library Foundation.
- 4.3+ Million for additional literacy partners.